34 Struggles Only A Pinoy Bookworm Would Know
The life of a bookworm is hard, especially where we’re from. Here are 34 *struggles* only Pinoy book lovers would know. Share if you can relate! 🙂
- Browsing through National Bookstore or Fully Booked but can’t find the book you want
- Browsing through NBS or FB and finding ~too~ many books you want
- Entering NBS or FB, find the book but your wallet is empty so you have to leave your babies behind. T_T
- Running your hands through their spines and whispering “I’ll come back for you~” and earn a weird look from other customers
HidingStrategically placing the books on the shelves and praying to God no one picks them up until you have enough funds to buy said hiddenbook
- Risking varicose veins because you’re reading the books on the aisles for hours on end
- Why don’t we have public libraries that have actual books, anyways??
- Seeing a really rare edition of a classic (hardbound, gilded pages, the works) and falling in love with it. Then you see the price tag and collapse into a fetal position and cry
- Wondering how many lunch breaks or jeep rides you’ll be skipping just to add to your Book Fund
- Doing other people’s homework just to add money to the Book Fund
- Selling a body part just to add money to the Book Fund
- Spending 4 hrs at Booksale in search for a good read but all you find are old versions of Twilight :/
- Selling your book babies because you need school books
- Scouring the internet for cheap books and trying to determine if this shop is a scam or not. Also why do they call me “sis”.
- Encountering the words abbreviations HM, SF and VGC for the first time (They mean How Much, Shipping Fee and Very Good Condition, respectively)
- Using all the haggling skills you learned just to get the lowest price
- Waiting a solid month or two for the mailman to deliver your books
- Going to the post office just to find out u have to pay extra (!) for the books. I mean, seriously?!
- Meeting up with strangers in malls and jeep terminals because they’ve gots the goods
- Waiting 30 minutes for said strangers to show up and taking 5 seconds for the actual transaction to happen.
- Learning how to send money through Palawan express lol
- Camping outside the mall for your favorite author’s book signing
- Keeping pesky receipts just to have your books signed, too.
- Not making the cutoff for book signings!
- Spending a small fortune on merch
- Those subscription boxes look so cute but the Book Fund is steadily dwindling so you have to think of other creative ways to supplement it.
- Finally deciding to try a subscription box but they don’t ship to your area T_T
- Looking at all those cool bookstagram shelves and realizing youre too lazy to organize your pile of books on your shelf
- Wait, you don’t have a shelf
- Losing your book babies to a typhoon
- Losing your book babies to people who borrow them but never return them! That hurts so much worse.
- Letting people borrow your beloved books and people return them with creased spines or dog ears. Monsters!
- Parents or peers not understanding your “obsession” for books. They’re insisting you spend your money on other “important” things instead, like clothes. AS IF.
- Trying your best not to buy books but you simply can’t stop.
Anything else I missed? Let me know in the comments below! 🙂